Fire Claims Family Pets And Destroys Home In Wheatland

in News

***For All Things Wyoming, Sign-Up For Our Daily Newsletter***

By Mark Delap, Platte County Record-Times

WHEATLAND – Lacey Lind posted to her Facebook page a quote from Joyce Meyer that stated, “Just because what’s going on in your life right now doesn’t feel good, doesn’t mean God’s not working.”

That was posted after Butch and Lacey’s son, Ayden had broken his leg in a basketball tournament in Fort Collins, Colo.

The devastation was not over yet as Sunday night the Lind family got hit with another crisis as a pellet stove caught fire in their home on Fairview.

Road and firefighters were called to the scene Sunday night at 8 p.m. 
Firefighters arrived to a massive blaze and after fighting the fire all night, fire chief Bob Glasson who was still on scene with a crew at 9 a.m. Monday containing the fire said that it was a total loss. 

“Me and our 14-year-old (Rylie) and a four (Lyla) and a six (Ethan) were in the house when it broke out,” Butch Lind said. “My wife was down in Fort Collins with our 12-year-old playing basketball yesterday. I’m pretty sure it was a pellet stove where it started.”

On a busy holiday season and the house freshly decorated for Christmas, Lind’s daughter Rylie came up from the downstairs area and informed him that there was a fire.

“I went down and it was pretty bad,” Lind said. “I went out because we have a walkout basement and went out the door of course just to see if I could do anything and I knew I couldn’t, so I just turned around and I was between the door and the stairs and I think the window blew in and the flames went everywhere.”

Lind said that they stayed with some good friends for the night, but from this point, there is no plan as to where the family is going to go or what they are going to do to recover.

“I got the kids out and took them to friends,” Lind said. “We have a lot of good friends, and I appreciate all of the support.”

The family does have insurance on the home, but as to when the relief will come, there is no definite answer. The “Lind Family Rebuild Fund” was posted Monday morning by Rainey Evans who is organizing the relief effort.

According to Evan’s Facebook page, the call for help was as follows, “On Sunday, Dec. 13 the Lind family suffered a devastating house fire. With four young kids, the Lind’s are in need of all the essentials, especially clothing. Sizes needed: Girls Youth 4T, Boys Youth 7 (S/M), Girls Youth XL or Adult S, and Boys Adult M. There is an account set up at Wheatland Country Store for other clothing needs! Other items that would be accepted: Safeway Gift Cards, Christmas presents and toiletries. Any donations can be dropped off at Brown Company 705 16th Street in Wheatland. Platte Valley Bank in Wheatland has an account set up for the family under Lind Fire Fund.”

At the time of this posting, $3,200 had already been raised to help the family.

In a COVID year with so much adversity, the events of this weekend were heinous to a local family.

“I thank God it didn’t happen at midnight or 1 a.m.,” Lind said. “Because that’s where the two little ones would have been sleeping. That’s what I laid awake all night thinking.”

According to Lind, they have not located either the dog or the cat and the speculation was the loss of two family pets which adds more fuel to the fire of anguish.

Monday morning, Lacey Lind and son, Ayden were staying in Colorado where they will be visiting with an orthopedic doctor.

Family friend, Jenifer Cook said, “That is a heaping load of horrible on their plates. This town will absolutely pull together for them though…I have seen it time and time again over my lifetime. It is heartwarming and inspiring.”

***For All Things Wyoming, Sign-Up For Our Daily Newsletter***

Latest from News

Go to Top