A Casper man suffered severe burns and nonlife-threatening injuries Wednesday night in an explosion involving homemade fireworks, police say.
Dispatchers received multiple calls starting about 11:12 p.m. Wednesday reporting an explosion in the Paradise Valley Neighborhood, according to a Thursday statement from the Casper Police Department.
Callers also reported a house fire in the 3400 block of Trappers Trail in that neighborhood. Officers responded to the home.
“Legally acquired chemicals had been used in an attempt to produce homemade fireworks,” reads the statement. “The unexpected result was an explosion,” injuring the upper half of a Casper man, who was in the home’s garage area.
Emergency responders took the man to Banner Medical Center. His condition is unknown, the statement says.
Authorities “quickly” extinguished the fire, which left “some damage” to the home, the statement says.
The Casper Police Department expressed gratitude to the Natrona County Sheriff’s Office, Casper Fire and Emergency Medical Services, “for their quick arrival and effective teamwork.”
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information is available.
Clair McFarland can be reached at Clair@CowboyStateDaily.com.