UW Allowing Students To Withdraw, Receive Full Refund Due To Paused Return

After an extension of the University of Wyoming's pause to its phased return plan, the university is now allowing students to withdraw and receive a full refund for this semester's courses.

Ellen Fike

September 10, 20202 min read

Uw flag
(Cowboy State Daily Staff)

After extending its pause to efforts to resume in-person classes, the University of Wyoming is allowing students to withdraw and receive a full refund for this semester’s courses.

The university announced this decision in a news release Thursday. Students can either withdraw and receive a refund or put their enrollment off until the spring semester.

“We understand the complexity of the situation created by COVID-19 and, with the extension of the pause, we are allowing students extra time to request a full refund if they choose to defer enrollment or withdraw through Sept. 15,” Interim Provost Anne Alexander said in the release. “Of course, we don’t want any students to withdraw unless absolutely necessary but, in the event it is best for that student, we want to be as helpful as possible.”

Before students request a withdrawal, they’re encouraged to view the online resources available to them here. The resources such as online tutoring and remote access to the contents of the university’s library, are designed to help students throughout their UW careers but may be especially helpful now if students decide to continue their fall courses online. The Dean of Students office is prepared to assist students in locating existing opportunities for support and assistance.

The five-day pause to the fall return plan will end Monday, when UW President Ed Seidel will determine the next steps to be taken, which could include resuming the phased fall return plan or shifting to a fully virtual environment.

“With that in mind, you may still want to wait until the pause has ended to make your decision,” Alexander said. “But, if you are interested in withdrawing, please complete the withdrawal request form through the Dean of Students Office.”

Share this article



Ellen Fike