Cheyenne Man Who Accidentally Killed Teen Has Bond Revoked, On House Arrest Ahead Of Sentencing

Tirso Munguia, who was 19 when arrested in January in the death of 16-year-old Angelina Harrison, got out of jail on bond this month, went back to jail, and now is back out on house arrest after a heated encounter with the victim's parents.

Clair McFarland

June 07, 20233 min read

Tirso Munguia, 19, has agreed to plead guilty in the accidental shooting death of a 16-year-old Cheyenne girl in January.
Tirso Munguia, 19, has agreed to plead guilty in the accidental shooting death of a 16-year-old Cheyenne girl in January. (Cowboy State Daily Staff)

A Cheyenne man who pleaded guilty to killing a teenage girl in January with an ill-timed gunshot is now out of jail on house arrest.    

Tirso Munguia, who was 19 when first arrested, was out on bond with a GPS ankle monitor throughout the month of May, but authorities arrested him and revoked his bond after he encountered his victim’s family at a fundraiser, according to court documents.  

Munguia was first arrested and charged after handling a gun Jan. 9 while riding in the back seat of a car near the Frontier Mall in Cheyenne. Angelina Harrison, 16, was riding in the front seat when Munguia accidentally fired the gun, causing the fatal gunshot, court documents say. 

He pleaded guilty May 1 pursuant to a plea agreement in which District Attorney Deputy William Edelman agreed to seek a prison term of eight to 12 years for involuntary manslaughter.  

Munguia then got out of jail on a $75,000 surety bond. The judge ordered Munguia to have no contact with Harrison’s family.  

Attractive Audi 

About a week later, Munguia and a friend were eyeing an attractive Audi on an Instagram post, touting an upcoming car show in Cheyenne, Munguia’s bond agent James Pulver of Freedom Fighter Bonds, told Cowboy State Daily on Tuesday.  

Munguia didn’t realize the car show was also a fundraiser for Harrison’s family, Pulver said.  

“None of the boys Tirso was traveling with had seen it (advertised that way),” said Pulver. “Nobody had seen the signs.”  

After fewer than eight minutes, Munguia encountered Harrison’s parents at the event, leading to what Pulver described from court testimony as a heated reaction from the parents.  

At The Hospital 

Munguia went back to jail after his bond was revoked for having contact with Harrison’s parents.  

District Court Judge Edward Buchanan revoked Munguia’s bond after a May 26 hearing, Pulver said, because there were signs outside the event indicating it was a fundraiser for Harrison.  

Buchanan then reinstated the same $75,000 surety bond so that Munguia could get out of jail, with the added condition that this time the defendant with his GPS ankle monitor would be on house arrest.  

Buchanan signed the revocation and reinstatement order May 31. Munguia remained in jail for the five days in between, said Pulver. 

Pulver said Munguia’s mother was sick at the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center.  

Munguia was allowed to visit her Sunday for no more than three hours, according to his court file.

Pulver said Munguia also got a five-hour visit with her Tuesday, just as the family removed her life support.  

“He got a five-hour window to say goodbye today,” said Pulver, adding that the case is tragic, for all involved.  

Cowboy State Daily was unable to confirm through additional sources by publication time whether the mother referenced was Munguia’s biological mother, and whether she died Tuesday.

Clair McFarland can be reached at

Share this article



Clair McFarland

Crime and Courts Reporter