Gillette Police Kill Man After He Points Gun At Them

Gillette police shot and killed a man on Monday after he pointed a gun at them, city officials announced late Monday.

Ellen Fike

March 22, 20222 min read

Police at night

Gillette police shot and killed a man on Monday after he pointed a gun at them, city officials announced.

According to city officials, Gillette police received a call Monday afternoon from a citizen who said a man was shooting a handgun in the middle of East Lincoln Street.

When officers arrived, they encountered a man armed with a gun. They attempted to subdue him with a taser, but were unsuccessful.

Officers ordered the man to drop his weapon and he then pointed the gun at them. At least one officer discharged his duty weapon, hitting the suspect.

Lifesaving measures were initiated and the man was transported to Campbell County Health, where he was pronounced dead.

The Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation is looking into the incident, and no further information will be released until the investigation is complete.

Gillette Police Chief Brent Wasson did not return Cowboy State Daily’s request for comment on Tuesday.

Per the Gillette Police Department’s policy, the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave pending closure of the investigation.

This is the second man killed by Gillette police this year. Ismael Montes, 22, was shot by police in January after he swung a bladed weapon at them.

Montes was killed by police after officers were called by a person requesting assistance to remove Montes from their home. The caller indicated Montes made threats of violence to the occupants of the house and refused to leave.

When officers arrived at the house, they made contact with Montes, who was armed with a large edged weapon.

Montes refused multiple requests to drop the weapon. Officers deployed two forms of non-lethal weapons and Montes retreated further into the home.

The officers continued to attempt to disarm Montes through non-lethal means.

When Montes charged at the officers, swinging the weapon at them, both officers discharged their duty firearms, striking Montes and killing him.

The officers have been placed on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation.

In February, the Campbell County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution allowing the Park County prosecuting attorney to investigate the Montes shooting.

Share this article



Ellen Fike