In Brief: Casper Man Shot During Fourth Of July Fight Over Fireworks

A man was shot and taken to a Casper hospital on the Fourth of July during a fight over personal fireworks. An argument between a small group of people and the man who was shot erupted at the basketball courts at a local park.

Dale Killingbeck

July 08, 20242 min read

Mathew Campfield Park 7 8 24
(Dale Killingbeck, Cowboy State Daily)

CASPER — A fight over personal fireworks escalated to a man being shot at a local park on the Fourth of July, the Casper Police Department reported Monday.

The adult male suffered non-life-threating injuries, CPD spokesperson Amber Freestone told Cowboy State Daily on Monday.

An argument between a small group of people and the man who was shot at the basketball courts at Mathew Campfield Park in the 500 block of East M Street got out of hand when police arrived just after 10 p.m., Freestone said.

The park was a gathering spot for people to watch and set off fireworks.

“The wound was in his lower back and hip area,” Freestone said, adding the victim was transported to Banner Wyoming Medical Center.

She said she did not have information on his current condition or whether he remains at the hospital.

No arrests have been made and an investigation continues, she said. That includes ongoing interviews with potential witnesses.

Freestone said officers interviewed several people at the park.

“Witness statements detailed a confrontation about personal use of fireworks between a small group and the male who had been shot,” she said.

The type of weapon and age of the victim are not being released, Freestone said.

Police continue to seek potential witnesses and anyone with information is asked to contact the department’s lead investigator at 307-235-7596.

Anonymous information and tips may be submitted through the Crime Stoppers of Central Wyoming website or by calling 307-577-8477.

Dale Killingbeck can be reached at

Share this article



Dale Killingbeck


Killingbeck is glad to be back in journalism after working for 18 years in corporate communications with a health system in northern Michigan. He spent the previous 16 years working for newspapers in western Michigan in various roles.