Former Wyoming congresswoman Liz Cheney has taken to X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, saying former President Donald Trump doesn’t want the public to see evidence from the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, which she described as “no surprise.”
It was the first public comment Cheney has made since Trump received his most recent federal indictment for alleged election interference in Georgia.
Cheney provided a link to where the public can see the “January 6th Committee Final Report and Supporting Materials Collection,” what she describes as a “meticulously sourced 800+ page final report.” Also included are videos of the Select Committee to Investigate the Jan. 6th Attack on the United States Capitol hearings, adding that it “might be a good time to watch” again.
Some Evidence Missing
Cheney’s Thursday X post was in response to Trump’s recent claims that the committee destroyed "all" its evidence and records.
On his Truth Social platform Wednesday, Trump claims that “The January 6th Unselect Committee got rid of EVERYTHING! Discarded, Deleted, Thrown Out. A Flagrant Violation of the law. They had so much to hide, and now that I have Subpoena Power, they didn’t want to get caught. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing. AN EGREGIOUS CRIMINAL ACT & BLATANT DISREGARD OF THE LAW! Can you imagine if I would have done such a thing???”
Earlier this week, the Republican chairman of the House subcommittee examining last year’s Jan. 6 Committee hearings said that some of the evidence gathered for the inquiry wasn’t preserved.
U.S. Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Georgia, chairman of the House Administration Subcommittee on Oversight, told Fox News that the information his subcommittee has is incomplete, not that it was all destroyed.
He said the House Jan. 6 select committee did not adequately preserve documents, data and video depositions, including communications it had with President Joe Biden‘s administration, and failed to provide any evidence that it looked into Capitol Hill security failures on the day of the riot.
Cheney has been relatively quiet in response to the recent Trump indictments, issuing no public response after the former president was indicted on federal charges for his alleged involvement in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
Others In Wyoming Defend Trump
On Tuesday, U.S. Rep. Harriet Hageman, R-Wyoming, defended Trump and accused Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis of “seditious conspiracy” after her office announced a 41-count indictment against the former president.
“Late last night, in one of the most corrupt counties in Georgia, Democrat DAs raised more fraudulent charges against President Trump,” Hageman wrote on X. “They’re trying to deny Americans the right to a free and fair election.”
Hageman referred to Willis’ actions as “not just election interference,” but “seditious conspiracy and treason” aimed at preventing Americans a free and fair election.
Wyoming Secretary of State Chuck Gray issued a similar sentiment that the “radical left and the media are … throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the wall to see what sticks” to hinder the conservative movement.
“The latest indictments from Soros-backed Fulton County DA Dani Willis are disgusting, vile, and a threat to the very foundations of our republic,” he said in a Tuesday statement. “These indictments make clear that the radical left wants to ban free speech.”
Sens. John Barrasso and Cynthia Lummis, both R-Wyoming, have not yet issued public responses to the latest Trump indictments, but defended the former president in other indictments he has received this year.
Leo Wolfson can be reached at Leo@CowboyStateDaily.com.