Dave Simpson: Let Me Get This Straight. The Problem Is US?

Columnist Dave Simpson writes, "Appearing on Bill Maher last week, Katie Couric said folks like us are driven by 'anti-intellectualism,' and we're jealous of elites like  her. This, she theorized, is why so many of us voted for Donald Trump. And not just once, but twice."

DS
Dave Simpson

April 20, 20244 min read

Mix Collage 20 Apr 2024 02 44 PM 32

Katie Couric thinks we're green with envy.

Jealous.

Bitter.

Not the brightest bulbs in the pack.

Appearing with Bill Maher last week, she said folks like us are driven by “anti-intellectualism,” and we're jealous of elites like  her. This, she theorized, is why so many of us voted for Donald Trump. And not just once, but twice. (Don't tell her that most of us are just itching to do it again.)

What else, Katie asks, could explain our craziness?

And since folks here in Wyoming voted for Trump by the largest percentage of any state – almost 70 percent – we have to look in the mirror, friends. No getting around it. We're apparently a rotten borough of jealousy, bitterness and smelly Walmart-shopper unpleasantness.

To hear Katie tell it.

She explained that if you've ever been jealous of another person, it can make you “resentful – it's such a corroding and bitter, almost bile feeling.”

“So I think that's a huge problem that we have to address,” she concluded, sparking visions of re-education camps, where wokeness, equity and swell pronouns are drilled into our thick skulls.

I'm reluctant to question folks so much more intelligent than us. (If you don't believe they're more intelligent than us, just ask them, and they'll tell you how much more intelligent they are than us.)

But, I'm not feeling that jealous, “almost bile” feeling Katie talked about. What I'm feeling, on the contrary, is that, “Now wait just a damn minute” outrage at people who have been telling us how superior they are for decades, and delivering something far less.

Who among us feels envy for elite parents who spend a life's savings sending a kid to a university like Columbia, only to find out that Skippy is camped out on some campus lawn, professing love for the monsters who attacked Israel in October, and expressing stunning intolerance, even hate, for Jewish people?  Mom and Dad are spending a fortune putting Skippy into the equivalent of late 1930s Germany, and we're supposed to feel envy for them?

As the saying goes, “Not this pig!”

They have an amazing subway system in liberal New York City, but the prosecutors they elect won't  jail thugs who terrorize fellow riders, push people in front of  oncoming trains, and beat people senseless. Worse, if a former Marine protects fellow riders, HE'S the guy the prosecutor throws the book at.

I don't know about you, but I'm not feeling envious of people like that.

You can't walk down the street in parts of San Francisco without stepping in something you don't even want to think about, or on a needle left there by a zonked-out, sidewalk-camping drug addict. Liberal idiocy has defiled one of the most beautiful cities in America, and we're supposed to look upon this as the work of people more intelligent than us?

Really?

Our president opens up our country to millions of people we know little or nothing about, and when Texas sends some of them on to clueless Sanctuary Cities, their mayors blame Texas, not our oblivious president. Denver is cutting the police budget by $8 million to accommodate Biden's mob of illegals, and we're supposed to see this as the work of intellectuals?

Same with Chicago, where illegals were housed on city buses last winter to keep them from freezing, and needy folks are asking why they're giving up services to pay for those here illegally.

This does not sound like the work of MENSA candidates.

How about the rocket scientists who came up with the idea of letting shoplifters in Los Angeles steal up to $950 in merchandise before they are charged with a felony and jailed? What person who ever owned a business, or worked in a business, or shopped in a business, couldn't have explained the stunning stupidity of that decision?

Something President Ronald Reagan said comes to mind:

“The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant,” he said. “It's just that they know so much that isn't so.”

So, I'm not buying Katie's argument. I don't think common sense people like us are feeling envy or bitterness at all.

What we're feeling is disbelief.

And disgust

Dave Simpson can be reached at: DaveSimpson145@hotmail.com

DS

Dave Simpson

Political, Wyoming Life Columnist

Dave has written a weekly column about a wide variety of topics for 39 years, winning top columnist awards in Wyoming, Colorado, Illinois and Nebraska.