Woman Suffers 'Significant Injuries' In First Yellowstone Bison Goring Of The Year

A bison gored and seriously injured a 47-year-old Arizona woman in Yellowstone National Park on Monday morning, causing “significant injuries to her chest and abdomen,” the National Park Service reports.

Mark Heinz

July 17, 20232 min read

Yellowstone National Park visitors get close to a bison in this file photo.
Yellowstone National Park visitors get close to a bison in this file photo. (Cowboy State Daily File Photo)

A 47-year-old Arizona woman was seriously hurt Monday morning when a bison charged and gored her while walking near Lake Yellowstone in Yellowstone National Park, the National Park Service reports.

The woman was life-flighted to Eastern Idaho Medical Center in Idaho Falls after suffering “significant injuries to her chest and abdomen,” the NPS reports.

The Park Service as of early Monday afternoon hadn’t released the woman’s name or hometown.

Not Known If Attack Was Provoked

The attack happened near the Lake Lodge cabins on the north shore of Lake Yellowstone. The woman was walking with another person in a field in front of the Lake Lodge when they spotted two bison, according to the NPS.

They turned and started to walk away from the bison, but one of the animals charged and gored the woman. It wasn’t reported how close the people got to the bison when it charged.

Visitors to Yellowstone and Teton park aren’t allowed within 100 yards of bears and wolves, and must stay at least 25 yards away from all other wildlife, including bison.

This is the first reported bison attack in 2023. The last reported attack happened June 28, 2022, when man suffered injuries to one of his arms after being charged by a bison.

Monday’s bison attack is under investigation, according to the Park Service, and this story will be updated as more details become available.

RELATED: Bison Goring Season In Full Swing: Two Attacks In Two States In Three Days

Mark Heinz can be reached at mark@cowboystatedaily.com.

Share this article



Mark Heinz

Outdoors Reporter