Dave Simpson: Forrest Gump Had A Term For This

Columnist Dave Simpson writes, "We live in the Golden Age of Stupid. There's a cornucopia of faulty thinking out there. It's a clear case of stupid is as stupid does."

DS
Dave Simpson

May 08, 20234 min read

Dave simpson head 10 3 22

You might think a policy that punishes people with good credit, and rewards people with bad credit is the dumbest thing you've ever heard of.

That's what I thought when I heard of Joe Biden's new policy that, as of last week, tacks $40 more per month on Federal Housing Finance Agency-supervised loans to people with credit scores of 680 or higher on a $400,000 home. Saving up a big down payment will also net a penalty.

The goal is to help people who don't have good credit and haven't saved up much of a down payment to buy homes. What could possibly go wrong with that? Remember the last time we did something like this, and the housing crash of 2008 that followed?

“Beam me up, Scotty,” as one politician from Ohio used to say when the government went particularly  off the rails.

Folks like us grew up thinking saving money, being frugal, feeding our kids, salting money away for education and retirement, and not being a burden on society were good things.

Ha, ha, ha. That's a good one. 

Wake up and smell the coffee, fellow Baby Boomers. Let's stop being like that old joke about why we have round shoulders and flat foreheads: Because when you ask us a question we shrug our shoulders, and when you tell us the answer, we slap our foreheads.

This president is determined to rub our noses in our good intentions, call us greedy and racist, and throw everything we believe against the wall in contempt. (Remember the linguine scene from “The Odd Couple?”)

Back, however, to the gross tonnage of wide-ranging stupid policies and notions that confront us every day. Give this more thought, and you will come to the conclusion to which I came: 

We live in the Golden Age of Stupid. There's a cornucopia of faulty thinking out there. It's a clear case of dumb, dumber and dumbest.

To wit: 

While 19 terrorists wreaked havoc on this country in 2001, we have allowed between five and seven million illegal aliens to simply walk or swim across our southern border. Over 100 people on our terrorist watch list have been apprehended, but who knows how many got away. 

Over 100,000 of our people die each year from fentanyl streaming across our border.

Our navy is using a drag queen to boost recruitment. Rob O'Neill – the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden - said last week he's disgusted to see what has become of the service he served so heroically.

Many among us see no problem with drag shows for toddlers. And some of our liberal friends equate opposing sexual how-to books in schools and public libraries with “banning books” like “The Catcher in the Rye” and “To Kill a Mockingbird.” No. There's a difference.

How about liberal cities that let violent people back out on the street without posting cash bond? Remember when a congressman running for governor of New York was attacked by a knife-wielding nut at an appearance, and New York was about to let the guy right back out on the street? Even the federal government saw how stupid that was, and held him on federal charges.

Half our lawmakers in Washington see no connection between what they spend and borrowing ever more money to pay the bills. Stone cold stupid.

Not convinced? Some of our liberal friends are OK with letting biological boys compete against girls in high school and college sports, gutting the very concept of Title IX. And many are OK with “transition” surgery on children. (Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders said her kids can't decide what they want for breakfast, much less changing their genders. Bingo.)

California, which is facing a $22 billion budget shortfall, is nevertheless considering “reparations” for slavery of $1.2 million per eligible person, even though California was never a slave state. Total estimated cost, $800 billion. Anybody see a problem there?

I could go on, but you get the point. Penalizing people with good credit is just the tip of the ignorance iceberg.

Podcaster Dan Bongino has a good description for this:

“Fifteen-yard penalty for Too Much Stupid on the Field.”

I rest my case, Your Honor.

DS

Dave Simpson

Political, Wyoming Life Columnist

Dave has written a weekly column about a wide variety of topics for 39 years, winning top columnist awards in Wyoming, Colorado, Illinois and Nebraska.