US Rep. Liz Cheney Endorses Michigan Democrat

UPDATED: U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney on Thursday morning has endorsed incumbent U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin, a Michigan Democrat, who is running against a Republican who has questioned the results of the 2020 presidential election.

LW
Leo Wolfson

October 27, 20223 min read

Cheney and Adler

By Leo Wolfson, State Political Reporter
Leo@Cowboystatedaily.com

U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney has endorsed a Democrat in the 2022 election.

A spokesperson for the Wyoming Republican has confirmed she’s endorsing Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Michigan, in her reelection campaign. 

“I’m proud to endorse Elissa Slotkin,” Cheney says in a statement. “Serving together on the Armed Services Committee, I have come to know Elissa as a good and honorable public servant who works hard for the people she represents, wants what’s best for the country, and is in this for the right reasons. 

“While Elissa and I have our policy disagreements, at a time when our nation is facing threats at home and abroad, we need serious, responsible, substantive members like Elissa in Congress.”

Slotkin tweeted about the endorsement Thursday morning: “@Liz_Cheney & I certainly don’t agree on every issue, but at a moment when the heart of our democracy is being challenged, her voice & leadership have been indispensable.”

Colleagues In The US House

Cheney has worked with Slotkin on the House Armed Services Committee since 2020. Slotkin also served in former President George W. Bush’s administration while Cheney was at the State Department. Cheney’s father, Dick Cheney, served as vice president in that administration.

Although Cheney received an endorsement from two Democratic congressmen during her primary campaign, this is the first time she has endorsed a Democratic during this 2022 midterm campaign, and likely ever.

The Detroit News reports that Cheney is expected to join Slotkin in her Michigan district for a public event Tuesday, an event Slotkin confirmed.

Supporting Other Candidates

Cheney already said in September there would be a possibility she may endorse Democratic candidates running against Republicans who have called into question the results of the 2020 presidential election, and will actively campaign against those Republicans.

Slotkin is taking on Republican Tom Barrett in Michigan’s 7th Congressional District in her pursuit for a third term. 

Responding to Cheney’s endorsement, Barrett said he’s not surprised she is supporting Slotkin and that Slotkin “can keep Liz Cheney while I work to keep America out of senseless wars.”

“Now establishment Warhawks like Liz Cheney and Elissa Slotkin are standing together because I oppose their senseless thirst for more foreign entanglements,” Barrett tweeted Thursday morning. 

Barrett expressed skepticism over the 2020 election results, joining 10 other Michigan state legislators in sending a letter to Congress just before the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol urging lawmakers to investigate voter fraud claims. After the Jan. 6 riot, he told local media that he had no regrets about the letter.

Barrett has not been endorsed by Trump in his campaign.

A Swing District

The 7th Congressional District is seen as a swing district, with a split number of Democrats and Republicans.

Cheney lost her reelection bid to Harriet Hageman in August, but hasn’t ruled out the possibility she will run for president in 2024. 

She has said she will leave the Republican Party if Trump wins its nomination for president that year.

In September 2019, Slotkin and six other freshman House Democrats wrote an opinion piece published in The Washington Post calling for an impeachment inquiry into Trump. She voted for both his first and second impeachments and has voted with President Joe Biden 100% of the time, according to political data firm FiveThirtyEight. 

According to Govtrack.us, she is considered one of the more moderate Democrats in Congress.

LW

Leo Wolfson

Politics and Government Reporter