Wyoming measles-free, but officials urge preventive action

Cheyenne Firefighters Deliver Baby Boy During Blizzard

in News/Good news

***For All Things Wyoming, Sign-Up For Our Daily Newsletter***

By Ellen Fike, Cowboy State Daily

Some Cheyenne firefighters took on a new job temporarily this week when they helped deliver a baby boy during the historic snowstorm that blanketed much of southeast Wyoming.

“As access into the call was hampered by deep snow, part of the crew from Ladder 1 rendered care to mom, and delivery and care to baby, while the other members dug access for the ambulance,” Cheyenne Fire Rescue officials said in a news release.

It wasn’t clear when the baby was born, since the blizzard began on Saturday, but it sounded as if the mother and baby were doing just fine.

Cheyenne Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Kathy Baker could not share information about the family due to privacy and health reasons.

Cheyenne Fire Rescue did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

This is just one example of how Cheyenne residents were put to the test earlier this week due to the blizzard.

The city itself on Monday put out a request for citizen help with plowing the roads, since the city was hit with almost 31 inches of snow over a two-day period.

Gov. Mark Gordon declared a state of emergency on Wednesday due to the blizzard, allowing the director of the Wyoming Office of Homeland Security to mobilize state and federal personnel and resources to help get the state back up and running after the storm that dropped more than 30 inches of snow on some areas.

It also directs the Adjutant General, in consultation with WOHS and Gordon, to deploy, if needed, the Wyoming National Guard to areas of the state that have been identified for emergency assistance.

The record-setting snowstorm forced the closure of Interstates 25 and 80 through Tuesday, caused power outages and led to the closure of city, county and state offices and school districts in southeastern Wyoming for multiple days.

During a news conference on Tuesday, Cheyenne Mayor Patrick Collins urged patience from residents who were ready to leave their homes after being trapped for days.

“I know that a lot are restless today,” Collins said via videoconference. “We’ve been stuck for three days now and we all want to get out. But our police department would ask you not to get out in your cars and become part of the problem.”

***For All Things Wyoming, Sign-Up For Our Daily Newsletter***

Latest from News

Go to Top