Quick Draw artist Burge

Art produced in a hurry for a good cause at Worland’s ‘Mammoth Quick Draw’

in Travel

Art produced in a hurry and sold to benefit community activities will be the big event this weekend at the Mammoth Quick Draw in Worland.

The eighth annual event on Friday is a fundraiser for both the Washakie Museum and Cultural Center and the Worland Rotary Club that relies in part on the auction of art created by recognized regional artists in one hour.

“We select 32 artists out of all of those who apply and they do a complete painting in about an hour,” said Cheryl Reichelt, director of the Washakie Museum. “Then those are auctioned off. It has been a big success.”

Crowds bid for artwork at the Mammoth Quick Draw in World.
Crowds bid for artwork at the Mammoth Quick Draw in World. The eighth annual Quick Draw, to be held Friday at the Washakie Museum and Cultural Center, sees artists prepare pieces in about an hour. Those pieces are then auctioned to raise money for the museum and the Worland Rotary Club. Over the last seven years, $136,000 has been raised for the organizations (Photos courtesy of the Washakie Museum and Cultural Center)

Attendance at the event, held at the museum, is capped at 500 and in recent years, organizers have had to turn people away at the door, Reichelt said.

“We’ve had people come from Juneau, Alaska, Georgia and all over Wyoming and Montana,” she said. “It’s grown and we’re really very pleased.”

Money raised in the auction of the artwork is divided between the artist, the museum and the Rotary, with the artist being offered 20 percent of the sale price and the Rotary and museum splitting the other 80 percent. Over the last seven years, the museum and Rotary have raised a total of $136,000 for use in their community activities.

Also available for purchase at the event will be almost 180 pieces of existing art prepared by participating artists. The museum receives 30 percent of the purchase price to cover administrative costs.

The $45 ticket price for the night, which will also feature live entertainment by fiddler Erica Murphree and guitarist Billy Browning, includes a dinner and dessert and beverages.

For more information on the Mammoth Quick Draw, visit the museum’s website at WashakieMuseum.org.

Latest from Travel

Spencer and Jana Horn pose for a photo with family at the Lehi, Utah Luminaria walk. (Courtesy Photo)

Strangers Stranded At DIA Team Up To Get Home

Caught up with thousands of other travelers stranded at Denver International Airport
0 $0.00
Go to Top